Thursday, August 9, 2007

Radioactive

There is something unsettling about a nurse handing me a card that says: SECURITY AND LAW ENFORCEMENT NOTIFICATION- the carrier of this card has undergone a nuclear medicine procedure. The residual radiation may be detectable externally.

In other words, I can set off the detectors at the airport. It seems like I should be glowing or something.

Tests, tests, and more tests!

I have had one heck of a week. So far I have had the following tests to make sure that my cancer has not spread:
CT Scan, MRI, and Bone Scan.

I also had Physical Therapy for my arm.

Next week I will see 2 Oncologists, my neurologist, my dentist. I will have a MUGA test (a test to make sure my heart can handle chemotherapy). Next week I also plan to donate my locks...

It still amazes me that I feel just fine but I still need all these tests!

Yesterday I stopped by The Gathering Place. I got some ideas of how to break the news to my students at school, and took out some books on scarf-tying and the like. I guess I am in the market for cool scarves and hats, as I will be losing all of my hair in the next few weeks. Hair from everywhere on my body, eyebrows, eyelashes, and everywhere else you can imagine. I think I may cover my head with temporary tattoos...just for giggles.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Max and Scottie,

It is such a wonderful thing that you have each other. And and even nicer thing that you have the dogs! :) Scottie, what an awesome website you found - what a great way to add some levity to a crapola situation!

Maxi, you can always have my locks...you can't brush through them, they have a mind of their own, and I look like Rosanna Rosanna Danna most of the time, but you are welcome to them.

For the rest of yinz guys (That's Pittsburghese) I am walking on October 4th in the "Light the Night Walk, www.lightthenight.org to raise money for cancer research. I am doing this to honor Maxi, and also in memory of my boyfriend's mother. More on that as I get more information. But, of course I am accepting donations, which can be sent to me at 472 Greenhurst Drive Pgh, PA 15243, and made out to me, Lori Selkowitz, and I will write one HUGEMONGOUS check!