Saturday, August 11, 2007

Hair

I am obsessed with losing my hair. The first oncologist I went to told me I WILL lose my hair about 10 days after my first chemo treatment. I have been trying to prepare myself, however this is not an easy task for me.


My hair is longest it has been in years, and I am struggling to imagine what I will look with no hair. I plan to wear hats and scarves, however they are hard to find. Traditional hats from department stores have rough seams and are too big for my head. I ordered a couple of hats from the Just in Time just to try them out. I made a hair appointment for Wednesday morning. I plan on donating my hair to Locks of Love and cutting what is left super short. I think it will be less gross when I lose it, however I am struggling to prepare myself for the initial shock of chopping off my locks. What if I have an ugly shaped head? My hair hasn't been short...like boy short since I was in 7th grade!

Of course I am going to wait until AFTER I see the second oncologist to get my hair cut. Perhaps oncologist number 2 will have a different perspective on the hair loss thing. Either way, cancer still sucks.

9 comments:

beth said...

Just make sure you don't get the (crooked) bangs you had in kindergarten. THAT would be something very dire indeed.

beth said...

P.S. Try this site: www.headcovers.com And who knows? maybe you'll like having your head bald and beautiful!

Josh said...

Don't listen to Beth! Bald is beautiful. Ahem ...

Jojo a. said...

When my cousin found out she had cancer, her biggest concern (besides her health) was losing her hair.

She looks beautiful without it and the new look makes her feel stronger.

P.S. I stumbled here following a series of events. Definitely coming back :-D

Nicolle said...

Maxine-

I want to be the first to say how absolutely wonderful your hair looks. It's a great style for you. Thanks for asking me to be there.

Must go get started on the eggplant sweetpotato souffle with a dash of dill and capers!!! Ha.
for dessert I will serve up a big bowl of peas and pickles. You need those fruits and veges!!

Donna Hayward said...

Dearest Max,

I know several people who have lost their hair due to illness and I can tell you that ever single one had the most beautiful thick long hair when it returned. The shineist, healthyist looking hair I have ever seen. Hang in there. My prayers are with you. Blessing, Donna (student with Scott)

Donna Hayward said...

PS, I forgot to mention how beautiful you are Max. Scott what a lucky man you are. I wish I could give you some of my faith. Let me know if I can do anything at all for you. Please don't hestitate to ask.
Blessings,
Donna

Anonymous said...

Max,

At least you won't have to shave for awhile!! I would love to not shave and it be socially acceptable. HA!

On a more serious note, you are beautiful no matter what your hair (or lack there of) looks like. You are one of the most beautiful people I know.

p.s. the new haircut does remind me of what you looked like in junior high...it makes you look younger...:)

Anonymous said...

That anonymous comment was from me...I forgot to add my name!