Tuesday, October 9, 2007

A Teacher Never Knows Where Her Influence Will End

On the first day of school this year, I told all of my students that like it or not, they are on this journey with me. I have found that by including them dispels rumors and helps them (and me) process everything that is happening.


On Monday when I returned to school, I presented my biweekly cancer update which always includes a slide show. I usually show my students the pictures that I put on my blog, and explain the past weeks happenings. After missing an entire week of school, it seemed appropriate to give my students an update and share my NYC pictures with them.

After I was done explaining the events of the past week, one of my students asked if he could show me something on the internet. I asked if it was going to offend me or anyone else in the class. He explained that he wanted to show me a song. I asked if the lyrics are appropriate...again, I had to be sure. He played this. Needless to say, it took everything in me to keep my composure. I was and still am completely shocked.

I am glad my students are along for the ride with me. I may be the luckiest cancer patient ever to have 75 young adults holding my hand on this journey. After 11 years of teaching you would think that I would learn to expect the unexpected.

I think Henry Adams was correct when he said, "A teacher affects eternity; she never knows where her influence will end."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Max you and your students are simply amazing!

Anonymous said...

Max a Million- Thanks for sharing with me in your classroom yesterday, I was not sure if I was going to keep it together or not, especially after you told me the name of the student that gave you the name of song regarding cancer. Guess it hit me what an impact that you are having on the students and how much they are able to "care" in their way even though they sometimes have the funny way of showing it. We all love you so much Max, please think about that one today. Plus I really need to smooth up that head of yours, it is getting a little rough for my soft hands......schedule an appointment with me and I will see what can be done with you, you little GI Max. You are one in a million Girlie, keep that awesome smile going, I love seeing it when I come into the room.
Love you-
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Great Insert Max...

I know you didn't plan that one and I'm sure you were strong in the classroom for the song but, feeding off of the story leading up to the 'SONG' built up the drama for me and my melt down... I'm sure it was tough to keep your composure... I have sent it out to everyone in my address book, I hope they all cry like a baby too...

You know me Max... XOXOX

Beau

Jennifer said...

Max -
I read your blog every morning when I get to the office. Your words and stories are an inspiration and your strength is astounding. As I read, I am moved to tears with your following, there are many people who love you! I am amazed at how many people are responding to the bike run. It has been such a great pleasure (and I speak for Lisa too)to organize this bike run and bring awareness to the cause. When Lisa and I were planning this, and the date was finalized, we didn't realize that October was Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
I know that both Scott and you have mixed emotions about this benefit, and let me assure you that although this is the Max Run, your request will be met in bringing awareness to the cause! I promise you that...........you have my word.
I will see you on Saturday, October 20th. I look forward to meeting friends, family and hopefully some of the wonderful students that respect and love you so much!
See ya soon,
Jenn (& Lisa too)

Anonymous said...

What an amazing blog! You are such an inspiration and you make me want to be a better teacher! OK...so I've been doing it almost as long as you are old! LOL You made my day!

x0x0x0x0 - Susan (Scooby to some of you!)

LuLu Gal said...

Aloha from Honolulu Max!

It's Chrissy. Molly Selan's little sister. I was home in OH for vacation when Molly told me about your diagnosis with breast cancer. She sent me your blog. Amongst everything else, the Utube insert made me cry. Keep your faith, smile and determination. Kick cancer's ASS !!! You have friends praying in Hawaii.

Unknown said...

I am with you.
Lisa