Thursday, October 4, 2007

For the Cause

I have mixed emotions about this post.

Max did a Pampered Chef show for a couple right after she was diagnosed. I remember exactly what she said when she got home. It was, "They would so be friends of ours". I have since met the Pritchards and, as always, she is right.

As we have found, friends and family, near and far, all ask what they can do to help. Well, Lisa and Dave, along with Jen Bouch, decided they were going to put on a benefit Poker Run. Max and I have participated in events like this in the past.


This is where it gets tough for us. We certainly don't see ourselves as a charity or the necessary beneficiary of a fund raiser. Maybe I'm delusional, but if anything I think that we try to be generous and helpful to others when possible. However, the events of this past weekend, coupled with an eye-opening conversation at the hospital, has made me realize I have yet to fully grasp what our needs truly are, and what they may be in the future. Additionally, the realization that this is not a sprint but a marathon. So, we are humbled by their generosity and effort.

Yesterday, Lisa expressed concern that word get out to the readers of Max's blog, so with mixed emotions, I relay the message. Please understand our intention is the message of the event be about Breast Cancer Awareness and there will be appropriate literature and conversation as such. Also, Max and I will certainly be donating a portion of the proceeds to the facilities which have provided us information, counseling, and comfort in this difficult time.

If you're going blind like me, click to make it big.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Count Bobby and I in, we don't have a motorcycle...can we ride a schwinn instead? HA!

I love you guys!

Jenny said...

Where can we send a donation if we can't participate in the event?
Max, as I approach the last few days (weeks?) of my pregnancy, I am thinking about you all the time - you are an inspiration.
-Jenny

Anonymous said...

Hi... I have to round up some babysitters for the girls but I'm almost positive we'll be there.

:) Dawn and Craig

Anonymous said...

I too would like to know how donations can be made for those of us w/o motorcycles (or even a schwinn!). We have a flyer up at work about the Poker Run--but would like to know how we can donate. Sue

Anonymous said...

Maxine-

What kind of desserts would you like served at this benefit for you? Would you prefer them all to be chocolately? I have connections with the dessert people. We really miss you at school. Especially the students. You never know what you mean to them until you miss a few days.

Love Nicolle

Anonymous said...

Hi Max,

Count Joe and I in, we do have a bike and will see you on the 20th!!!

Love you,

Laura

Anonymous said...

Can I borrow your and Scottie's bike? I've never driven one, but how hard could it be?

Nicolle