Monday, July 23, 2007

Shocking Discovery

My goal for the summer was to begin some kind of exercise regimen. Three days into my summer vacation from teaching at the local high school, I was working on achieving that goal. I had met "the girls" at the high school track and we walked every morning. So, Wednesday, June 13, 2007 began as any other morning. As I was pulling my hair back into a ponytail to get ready for my daily walking ritual I noticed a bump on my right breast. Upon further investigation I realized that it was a true lump. I was absolutely shocked. I was surprised at the sheer size and presence of the lump. I did not bother to speculate as to what this may be, instead I called my husband who had already left for work.

"I have a lump in my breast." When I heard myself say the words I began to cry. It just felt scary to say…not because I dreamed it could be anything as scary as cancer, but because I knew it would require something scary like surgery to have it removed. Cancer did not feel like a real threat, although it briefly crossed my mind.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay! I'm first!

I love you. And your bravery.

S.

Anonymous said...

Ok I have read your blog and now I have huge tears !! I am here for you anytime that you need me. I am so thankful for your friendship.

I love you !!

Sarah